Since our founding more than 20 years ago, Project Sunshine has worked passionately to improve the health outcomes of all children, especially those in greatest need.
We envision a world where every child has access to medical treatment, community support and the healing power of play. We recognize that a child’s development is deeply impacted by access to health care and community resources. According to the CDC, minority populations experience health disparities resulting in lower life expectancy, decreased quality of life, and lack of resources to help them cope and heal from an illness. These disparities translate into decreased productivity, increased health-care costs, and social inequity.
In 2020, we engaged a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion professional to partner with us on an internal audit of our staff culture, recruiting practices, programming, and volunteer systems. Our commitment is to create and sustain an inclusive organization that can better serve the needs of a diverse group of children and families. Our efforts are ongoing and supported by the leadership and board of Project Sunshine.
Change comes with hard work, and we are committed to listening and making lasting improvements so that we can be a part of a solution that ends racial injustice. After an internal review, here are some of the steps we will be taking in 2021 and 2022 to formalize Project Sunshine’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion policies and practices:
- Adjustments and improvements in our recruiting practices for employees and volunteers
- Ongoing education for Project Sunshine staff, board and volunteers
- Updates to our volunteer training to include a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion component
- Transparent communications regarding our commitment and progress in the area of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion including at the leadership and board level
- Partnerships with culturally diverse organizations to enhance and increase cultural competency in our programs
Project Sunshine is committed to developing and sustaining a culture within our organization that continues to assess and improve our work around Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.